My kids are obsessed with dry shampoo and it is very handy stuff. Normal shop bought shampoo is full of nasties. They are overloaded with chemicals and really do no good to your hair and if used too often can strip out all the natural goodness and leave your hair dull and not to mention, very tangled.
And what if you are out and about and need your hair to look good but can’t get to a shower? Then dry shampoo is the answer and our recipe is not only super easy to make, it is also cheap and natural. It is safe enough to use on your hair every other day!
So let’s get on with the recipe!
- 8g bicarb (approx 1 level tablespoon or one very heaped teaspoon)
- 16g arrowroot (approx 1 very heaped tablespoon)
- 24g cornflour (approx 1.5 very heaped tablespoons)
- 5 drops of peppermint essential oil (optional)
1. Easy – put all of the above in a bowl and mix! If using the essential oil this will make the dry shampoo mix a little clumpy at first, just push down all the clumps with the back of a spoon and stir, it will soon be fluffy again.
2. Put the dry shampoo mix into a storage container. For sheer ease of use I use a flour sifter container so it sprinkles nicely on the hair or for travel use, I pop some in an empty clean spice jar that has a sprinkler top (like these below)…
3. Sprinkle or dust the dry shampoo mix onto the hair at the roots first and then very lightly over the rest of the hair. If you do not have a flour sifter you can rub some of the dry shampoo into your hands and run your hands through your hair.
4. Run you hands through your hair, ruffle it up and give it a good massage, this will spread the dry shampoo mix around your hair and allow it to start working, it will also give your head a good massage to improve the circulation to your head and hair follicles.
5. Brush your hair thoroughly and style.
You will see many recipes that add cocoa powder to their own versions of dry shampoo mix for darker hair to disguise the ‘flour’ look, but this is not needed and not recommended. With our recipe you do not need it if you massage your head and hair well.